RSS

Monthly Archives: July 2010

Windows SharePoint Services Search – Required on Farm, not running

We had this problem using MOSS 2007 SP2 when we first installed SharePoint. We tried starting it with an administrators account as well as changing the Indexing schedule with no luck. What we ended up doing was detaching the WSS_Search_<your server name> database and taking it offline in SQL, then when we went back in to Central Administration – Operations – Services on Server and selected Start next to that service, we put in a new database since it will give you an Unknown Error if you try to use the same name, and it started fine.

 
Leave a comment

Posted by on July 26, 2010 in SharePoint Installation

 

Configuration Failed on MOSS 2007 SP2

We were trying to apply Service Pack 2 to our MOSS 2007 installation. Once we installed the service pack we tried to run the config wizard and it would get to task 5 and the configuration would fail. Then we would get the following events in the Event Viewer:

Event ID: 100

Source: SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard

Description: 

Configuration of SharePoint Products and Technologies failed. Configuration must be performed in order for this product to operate properly. To diagnose the problem, review the extended error information located at C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\LOGS\PSCDiagnostics_7_20_2010_8_9_2_615_239088506.log, fix the problem, and run this configuration wizard again.

Event ID: 104

Source: SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard

Description: 

Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.ServicesTask.InstallServiceInstanceInConfigDB(Boolean provisionTheServiceInstanceToo, String serviceInstanceRegistryKeyName, Object sharepointServiceObject)

at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.ServicesTask.InstallServiceInstances(Boolean provisionTheServiceInstancesToo, String serviceRegistryKeyName, Object sharepointServiceObject)

at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.ServicesTask.InstallServices(Boolean provisionTheServicesToo)

at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.ServicesTask.Run()

at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.TaskThread.ExecuteTask()

Event ID: 2426

Source: Windows SharePoint Services 3 Search

Description:

Advise Status Change failed. The system is probably low on resources. Free up resources and restart the service.

Context: Application ‘Search’, Catalog ‘index file on the search server Search’

Details:

(0x80041812)

Event ID: 10029

Source: Windows SharePoint Services 3 Search

Description:

Error backing up registry hive to the configuration database.

Context: Application ‘Search index file on the search server’

Details:

Access is denied. (0x80070005)

Event ID: 10030

Source: Windows SharePoint Services 3 Search

Description:

Error importing registry hive from the configuration database and into the registry.

Context: Application ‘e1daee80-85f6-4538-9358-59e286d2c897’

Details:

Access is denied. (0x80070005)

Event ID: 6066

Source: Office SharePoint Server

Description: 

Couldn’t Register with Load Balancer: Unable to connect to the remote server

Event ID: 6102

Source: Office SharePoint Server

Description: 

LoadBalancer.RegisterLauncher failed: Unable to connect to the remote server

All of these were caused by one registry key:

HK_local_machine\software\microsoft\shared tools\web server extensions\12.0\wss\services\

 Under that key, find the service that it was failing on and delete that key. In our case it was Windows SharePoint Services Search. We backed up that registry key and then deleted it. We reran the configuration wizard and it worked.

I hope this helps!!

 
Leave a comment

Posted by on July 22, 2010 in SharePoint Installation

 

Event ID: 6482 Source: Office SharePoint Server

We were getting this error every minute on our MOSS 2007 server:

Here are the error details:

Application Server Administration job failed for service instance Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchServiceInstance (6e8fd438-2b7f-4672-a1fc-f206f342dc4a).

Reason: Object c46d04b6-690e-4ced-a1fd-18bbf492e421 not found.

Techinal Support Details:

System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: Object c46d04b6-690e-4ced-a1fd-18bbf492e421 not found.

at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchApi.get_App()

at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchApi.SetUsersPermittedToQuery(String[] userNames, Boolean force)

at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchServiceInstance.Synchronize()

at Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.ApplicationServerJob.ProvisionLocalSharedServiceInstances(Boolean isAdministrationServiceJob)

Here’s how I fixed this on our server:

I went to the Services on Server page from Central Administration and clicked on the Office SharePoint Server Search link that opened the Configure Office SharePoint Server Search Service Settings on server <my server> page.

I entered the password for my search service and clicked OK.  Then I stopped and started the Search service in the Services mmc.

That ended up giving me an Application Log entry that said Successfully imported the application configuration snapshot into the registry.

Now, I search the registry and I find the application under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office Server\12.0\Search\Applications\<My Search App GUID>

I restart IIS and now, I’m getting search results.

 
1 Comment

Posted by on July 22, 2010 in SharePoint Common Issues